Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2013, 04:15 AM

Default Different brief sewn patterns

I noticed that my brief suits are sewn together in quite different ways. In past posts, Torchwatch really explained things well such as why and how the back panel is often larger than the front, why it's important to keep the front taut, etc. But in any case, here are some different types that I see, all in brief-style. Do you have any other styles?

1) Common: Two triangular panels sewn together. Back panel is a bit bigger and curls just a bit to the front and stitched to front, and there's another seam under the crotch

2) Bottom panel: Just like the regular brief, but there's a third patch under the crotch, shaped like an hour-glass. Unusual. Sort of cradles your bottom rather than having a seam in the middle.

3) Side panels: Back, front, and one on each side, sometimes in a different color. So the suit has four panels total. One Adidas suit I have has the side panel in the same color as the front/back, so it was done for some other reason than just contrasting colors. The front panel is much smaller, and fabric is taut and fits really well. I wonder why more people don't make side panels? I bet it's extra labor.

4) Back center seam - One front panel, two in back, that makes it total of 3 panels. The back center seam seems to keep the back fit better. I've seen this in some Japanese suits where there's also a mesh in the back. Girls' one piece suits have back seams, so that the fit is better in the back.

BTW: Arena Japan has this cool custom swim suit order system where you can rotate your custom suit to see front and back. Go click on the custom swim wear link and play around: https://custom.arena-jp.com/simulati...ial/simulation

5) Front center seam - one panel in back,two in front -- you see this in Speedo-brand Solar brief and some fashion suits. The 2 front panels can be cut on a convex curve to create a pouch.

A few cases, I've seen front AND back center seams, but that seems rare. I only have one of those and it's a square leg

I have never seen a suit made of one piece of cloth folded over so there's no seam beneath the crotch.

Torchwatch said there's just stitching (and no seam, I presume) to prevent sagging, but I don't have a suit like that. Paper suits has them but they don't make many of these.

Last edited by JamesSwim : 10-19-2013 at 07:06 PM.