Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Difference between beach and pool

On first impressions the beach and the swimming pool appear to be the same. That is, environments where minimal clothing is acceptable.

However, while a pool only has one purpose ie. to swim in it, the beach has many. People walk on it, play sport, sit around etc. You can swim in the sea of course, but that isn't always ideal - examples being cold water, rough conditions, pollution, risk of jellyfish attack etc.

While not many men wear briefs to the pool, it is even less common on the beach, due it's multi-functional nature. I'm one who would never feel comfortable wearing briefs on the beach, but have no problem at the pool.

Now this is wear men and women differ. Women are far more likely to wear a brief bikini at the beach, but wear a one-piece swimsuit at the pool. The rationale escapes me...
Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM

very true! this phenomenon it's interesting. I think, at the pool, men could (not often) wear swim briefs or swim trunks and women wear one-piece swimsuits because many had worn them in swimming classes and they are used to wear this type of swimwear in the pool. Pools are, in most cases, related to sport activities. so other men and women wear sport suits in swimming pools. I also think the same: wearing swim briefs at the pool is more confortable.
but at the beach it's a different story: living in a "copy and paste" society and being contantly bombarded with advertisments in the summer promoting the beach and girls in bikinis and "masculine" guys in board shorts, I see that people choose to follow this beach culture imposed by the ads, their friends, the fashion trends, etc
well, this is my humble opinion
Old 04-27-2014, 02:16 PM

Default Why not?

You post is interesting as an observation of how different guys react to the same environment. I obviously wear brief cut suits for swimming workouts and events and have always worn briefs in triathlons (even as the trend has moved to tri-suits). I also wear my brief style suits to the beach, lake, recreational pool events, and anywhere a swimsuit is appropriate attire. I see no reason not to, after all it is a swimsuit and while it may be a bit more revealing than some other styles, I am not being indecent. I have been this way since my days as a kid when the only suits I owned were my swim team suits. In fact, while some guys wear shorts over their brief suits and then take them off when they get settled on the beach, I will even travel to/from the beach in just my swimsuit. It has never been an issue, and only once did I get chastised for my choice (and that was not in the USA..lol). Having said all of this, I would never wear a thong or a string width side cut suit. I will go as narrow as 1.5 inches at the beach. Now here is the weird hang up with me, I would never wear a narrow side suit such as an Ausssiebum for my swim workouts. I stay with more traditional cuts in the pool, although I do like colorful choices like Turbo or some of the more wild Speedo, Nike and Tyr prints.

Also, I don't disdain boardies. I own several pair, which I wear as street shorts in the Summer. I even like how some guys look in boardies over briefs...

STS
Old 04-27-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTeamSpeedo
I will go as narrow as 1.5 inches at the beach. Now here is the weird hang up with me, I would never wear a narrow side suit such as an Ausssiebum for my swim workouts. I stay with more traditional cuts in the pool,...
According to Wiki, the most common racing suit styles are 1.5 inch to 3 inch panelled briefs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swim_briefs

So you may go for a 3 inch one for modesty, but the chances are that it will still be much briefer than what every other man is wearing. So in that case there's nothing to be lost in wearing a 2 or a 1.5 inch one.

Again, using women as an example, have you noticed how their t-shirts are invariably designed with shorter sleeves than men? Yet they will still wear sleeveless tops with narrow straps, because the convention of wearing briefer clothing has been established.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Default female attire

My only complaint : if only the awful bra. straps would stay hidden !!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
So you may go for a 3 inch one for modesty, but the chances are that it will still be much briefer than what every other man is wearing. So in that case there's nothing to be lost in wearing a 2 or a 1.5 inch one.

Most of the Tyr and Turbo suits I wear are 2 inch sides, the Turbo suits may be less. Back on my team days, we wore very tight and tiny briefs for races.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:53 AM

There are many kinds of public pool sessions and many kinds of beach.
Wearing speedos at the adult lane swimming session is normal, while wearing them at the family paddle about in the shallow end and scream session is rarer.
Similarly wearing speedos on the main town beach, close to the car park and hot food concessions, where the beach is heaving with noisy families and teenage gangs is rarer than the quieter country park beaches which you have to walk a couple of miles to reach.
Once you have set up on your section of a quiet beach in you speedos, bikini or swim thong, new arrivals walking by can choose to lay down their towels within sight of you or move on to find there own more distant patch. Those who stop nearby whether they are singles, couples or families will tend to be wearing something similar to you. The guys walking around in shorts with speedos underneath are hoping to find the bit of beach where the speedo guys are.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM

When i lived in Pasadena, California, being a avid swimmer at the Rosebowl Aquatic Center I would come across many beautiful people with amazing bodies that would wear 1.5 inch side panel suits. It was such a common trend in that area of the country. Then again, it's Los Angeles

Each and everytime I would see a male swimmer walking on the pool platform and swimming in the water, it made my head turn to give the suit and his respective body a second (thorough) look.

I always brainstormed and try to figure out what brand suit the person was wearing. Often non labels of any kind could be seen

The center had it's own swim shop that offered a wide array of swim briefs.

Sure miss those days!!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 AM

I almost am never at a pool. All of my outings are at the beach.I just love the whole environment.... Periodically Ill see other guys like me but generally it is just ladies in tie string bikinis and guys wearing boardies and tank top... A lot of dorks in california.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Smile

I really don't see any difference between a pool and the beach, even if the pool is not for lap swimming but for recreational purposes, like at a hotel resort. I wear a speedo regardless of where I am, but like STS, and knikon and CD from another post, I won't wear suits that show a bulge. I've bought a couple of Tactics that ave a pouch but only wear them under my walk shorts. At the beach and pool, I wear 1.5 or 2" suits but never smaller than that and certainly would never wear a thong for two reasons - one, when I've tried one, I hated the way it felt, and two, I think it isn't appropriate at the beach and especially at a pool where there are families present. So, for me, there is no difference between pool and beach.

D67