Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Default Lifeguard Training Kicks In

I was cycling home from working in Gravesend last Thursday at 2am, as I crossed Rochester Bridge I was thinking how cold it was, how strange the light was with the 10/10 pollution level, how heavy my pack was and whether the young woman ahead was going to jump off the bridge.
Suddenly things happened fast, there was no time to make a 999 call (police, fire, ambulance, coastguard, mountain rescue), I shone my cycle lights at the windscreen of an approaching car and dashed across to grab the woman, now on the wrong side of the railings.
With the help of the 2 male psychiatric nurses in the car and a passing off duty police officer we were able to bring the young woman back to safety before the Police car arrived.
Swimming and towing lengths in pools and in the sea wearing red speedos and shorts , sitting through endless lectures outside he clubs beach hut prepares you to spot "the weak swimmer" or something different and to act. Getting help and taking action even if you cannot complete that action on your own.
There was no way that I was going to jump into the river that night, in the cold and dark it would not have been survivable among the strong currents under the triple bridge.
Afterwards I was in a cold sweat, freezing in my cycle shorts, my fingers fumbled, my knee bleeding from where I had slipped and fallen and I was somewhat emotional. I guess I'll never be a proper hero!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:22 AM

Default An amazing story

- not least amazing that others with the experience needed were also on the bridge at that time of the morning to assist.
Is there a follow-up? - was the jumper taken into care?
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 AM

The Police transferred the jumper to an ambulance when it arrived.
She will have been placed on a 21 day order, giving her a chance of some care.
The duty Police Inspector phoned, he has recommended that I be given a Civic Award. The 2 nurses and off duty police officer also to be commended. It all happened suddenly and we made a great team.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM

Default well done....

...that beats swimming in Benenden's pool I reckon !
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Great job, Torchwatch! You saw a potential crisis and you reacted perfectly. You slipped, you were nervous - in other words, unlike rehearsed 'rescues' we see on TV, your rescue was real - scary and nerve-wracking. You met the challenge magnificently!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:39 PM

Default lifeguard trai.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwatch
I was cycling home from working in Gravesend last Thursday at 2am, as I crossed Rochester Bridge I was thinking how cold it was, how strange the light was with the 10/10 pollution level, how heavy my pack was and whether the young woman ahead was going to jump off the bridge.
Suddenly things happened fast, there was no time to make a 999 call (police, fire, ambulance, coastguard, mountain rescue), I shone my cycle lights at the windscreen of an approaching car and dashed across to grab the woman, now on the wrong side of the railings.
With the help of the 2 male psychiatric nurses in the car and a passing off duty police officer we were able to bring the young woman back to safety before the Police car arrived.
Swimming and towing lengths in pools and in the sea wearing red speedos and shorts , sitting through endless lectures outside he clubs beach hut prepares you to spot "the weak swimmer" or something different and to act. Getting help and taking action even if you cannot complete that action on your own.
There was no way that I was going to jump into the river that night, in the cold and dark it would not have been survivable among the strong currents under the triple bridge.
Afterwards I was in a cold sweat, freezing in my cycle shorts, my fingers fumbled, my knee bleeding from where I had slipped and fallen and I was somewhat emotional. I guess I'll never be a proper hero!
wow i love lifeguard stories, have you ever had outher adventures lik that if so please tell us. have you ever bene cautcht in a rip tide, or save someone in one. what is the real term rip tide or rip current.