Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2021, 04:42 PM

Default Nude Beaches in the UK

Most of the nude beaches I know in the UK seem to be used almost exclusively by males over 50. Nothing wrong with that. But as a heterosexual guy with a gym body there’s no pleasure in being ogled by older men. Where I have found mixed nude beaches, the females are of the same age. Nothing wrong with that either. In the Canaries and in Ibiza it’s been easier to find nude beaches with a younger/mixed crowd. But in the UK I’ve had more fun being naked on non-nude beaches (like Camber Sands) or amongst a younger/mixed crowd while wearing some super skimpy Mategear trunks. It’s a shame our nude beaches are not more like the ones I’ve been to in the Canaries or Ibiza. Does anyone know of any?
Old 09-11-2021, 05:53 PM

British naturist beaches used to have a following by people of all ages including families.
From 1986 with the introduction of Childline and increased awareness of child abuse, parents stopped bringing their children to naturist beaches as although they were not breaking the law they preferred not to be investigated.
As children were not going to naturist beaches the mothers would stay away putting pressure on the fathers to stay away too.
Older straight couples (with empty nests) would continue visiting but they are becoming too old to travel and walk the long distances cross country usually involved in visiting a naturist beach.
The British naturist beaches have been kept open by gay and single men who were young in 1986 but are now approaching or have reached retirement.

I've noticed in the last couple of years a new generation of straight young men and women discovering and enjoying British naturist beaches. They tend to use the area around the beach entrance where the clothed dog walkers and clothed families arrive and look around.
The older and middle aged gay men tend to preffer quieter spots out of sight of the busy main beach area.

In conclusion; if you go to a British naturist beach and stay in the main beach area you will be seen by straight clothed people and if you go to the quieter more private areas you will be seen by the older gay men that have kept the beach naturist for the past 40 years.

If you go naked at Camber Sands you will be breaking local bylaws and may face prosecution if caught. By all means wear minimal briefs or thongs there as they are legal, do your bit to show that knee length shorts are not needed to enjoy sunbathing and swimming on a beach.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:25 PM

What you say makes sense regarding the history. And its been a good few years since I was in the Canaries or Ibiza, so it may have changed there now too. On Camber beach, past the car-park entrances and up towards Rye harbour, I've only ever ditched the trunks after seeing one or two other people who had already done so. And I've put them back on to walk or swim, and no-one has ever made any comment. I've never owned any board-shorts and am not about to buy any! Not seen the new younger crowd you refer to but I hope to and will be keeping my eyes open so I can join them!
Old 09-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Try visiting Fairlight Cove, near Hastings.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:07 PM

Thanks - will do that - though I suspect the season is over now for this year, but next Spring...Really must try Cap d'Agde some time too.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:42 AM
Speedo Member

While your certainly correct that fears of child abuse have discouraged families from attending nudist beaches there is also another more obvious cause and that's increased awareness of the harmful effects of sun exposure on young skin. To put it simply outdoor nudity isn't regarded as a healthy activity like it was once promoted.
Maybe the climate is more mild in the UK but here in Australia the decline of briefs that began in 1980's coincided with the promotion of sun safety.
Girls of course were less effected by this trend because there swimwear covers more flesh but young boys have gone from wearing briefs to shirts and shorts in many families now.

Last edited by Fairfax : 09-13-2021 at 09:45 AM.