Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Smile It seems that...

It seems that a lot more brief-style swimsuits are being sold than show up at beaches or pools. Maybe guys are finding other uses for them (see my "trying on suits" post).
Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 AM

Here's an update on my community college pool.

Today, I walked by the pool building and got a glimpse of the afternoon swim session.

There were at least 10 rather young guys all in speedos. They were skimpy speedos that looked like W-Polo suits, but they weren't wearing any helmets.

So I guess they were just swimming. For what ever reason they were wearing them, I'm glad they just were wearing them!!!

CD
Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 PM

Default what I saw at our.....

Sebbie, I have bene poster on this board for 13 years, (old board included of course)
And what you say couldnt be more then exact, its bene years now that speedos seem to have gone out of style (in public anyway)
yet thousands of firms offer and sell them on the inernet, nor to mention big surface dept stores such as Sears, etc, and big surface sport stores like sport expert that we here in Montreal, plus some small boutiques were we find them also.
Never the less like california dolphin says speedos are worn by water sports athletes and you can see them at water polo trainings and competitions and also diving, (I see speedo wearing athletes at trainings and competions all the time) but they are va bit less worn by swimmers unfortunetely.
It seems to me thet board shorts not to mention gargo ones trends started in the USA and the style has bene spreaded all over the world even Australia the speedo capital of the world, this is probably due to the Hollywood film industrie viewed all over the world
Speedos are never the less publicly worn all over the world besides the states of course at beaches at lakes and pools, in France its even forbidden to waer shorts at pools speedos must be worn is the rules they even sell speedo style suits in vending machines just put the money in the slot and bingo a speedo falls out in a palstic bag.
Why are speedos less popular in the USA , well probably because of the gay phenomenon plus like wearing them at parades etc, also another reason is according to many medical journal articles mentions the USA is one of the countries were people are thge most fat (obese) due to the popularity of fast foods like Mc donalds, Kentucky fried chicken, and many more.
And also the US are very influenced by religious traditionnal fondamental sectes and religions,(born again ones, so speedos are not to be expected especially in the bible belt regions.
Anyway dont worry speedos are here to stay and will always be worn by divers, swimmers and water polo players and even more by those bold enough to wear them. My apologies for my misspellings or bad compositions of my post, being FRENCH CANADIAN FROM QUEBEC CANADA. SPEEDO ON.......
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Even at the pool I swim it the younger swimmers are rapidly going back to briefs...

As to louis's comments, we can thank Australia for the Speedo, but we can also than them for the board short...no, they did not start in the US.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 AM

Default What I saw................

SwimTeamSpeedo, then where did board shorts start ?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:28 AM

Louis... they started in Australia in the early 1970s. The Australia surfer crowd wanted versatile shorts that were durable for surfing, dried quickly, and were able to then serve as shorts on land.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 AM

Here in the U.S., the "longer look" in men's "shorts" definitely started with NBA player Michael Jordan.

In the 90's, he wore something on the BB court that looked like boardies instead of the tradtional short shorts that were the standard for men's athletic wear for nearly 60 years.

The "Half Pants" that guys wear nowdays are a spin off of the Jordan look.

CD
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM

A company called Surfline Hawaii originated and trademarked "Jams" in the mid to late '60s. These were the original unlined board shorts, with a pocket for surfboard wax. They were longer than other shorts, dropping to the lower thigh, and designed to ride low on the hips. The longer leg length prevented chafing while sitting on a board waiting for waves. They were made of cotton, so did not dry quickly.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM

When I was a kid parents were scandalized by long baggy trunks called "surfers". I am sure they were not really that long, they just seemed that way compared to the sensible shorter styles of the day. Kind of like how parents were scandalized by the Beatles' 'long' hair in '64. Having surfed for quite a few years I understand the appeal of longer board shorts, when you are sitting on your board with legs draped over the sides the fabric protects your inner thighs, you get a rash without protection. In the '70's, though, guys would surf in speedos. Real speedos. Some older surfers still do, mainly older Hawaiian guys.