Thread: Coming Out
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2016, 11:27 AM

Default My Story (cont'd)

When I turned 16 and started driving, I finally had some independence. The first suit I ever bought was a speedo brand brief. It was sold at a local chain of fashion department stores, and was sold among the regular swimsuits. I was so excited to finally have my own suit. I never wore it in public or anything- it was just for me to wear in private (as I said I was pretty chubby as a kid).

More suits followed over the next couple of years before I went to college, including an original Speedo Solar with the Mark Spitz-style red white and blue pattern (if anyone remembers the suits he wore to the Olympics). What I wouldn't give to have that suit now.

I also remember going to a big box athletic goods store and discovering that they had a Tyr 1" bikini, on discount. I snapped that thing up quickly and still, to this day, Tyr 1" bikinis are my favorite suit of all time. They had a great fabric, the sides were legitimately one inch, and they didn't have a front and back seam like solars do. They just seemed like they fit so much more smoothly.

By the time I graduated from high school, I probably had four or five suits, and I can remember getting ready to leave for college and having a "cleanse," where I threw away all kinds of things from my childhood (my parents were going to convert my bedroom to a guest room after I left). I had this huge trash bag of toys, books, etc. which were too well worn to be donated to charity, and I snuck a plastic bag with my suits into the trash, thinking, "I'm going to college. It's time to get serious about girls and give up on this speedo thing."

Little did I know how ridiculous that idea was, and how many suits I'd gather throughout college.

(To be continued...)