View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 02:33 PM

Story: Cancun Speedos

I’ve always worn boardshorts to the beach my whole life. Since young, my parents always dressed me conservatively in shorts at the beach. My friends were also firm believers of boardshorts. Beaches are for fun and games afterall, not for serious swimming. It’s not that I was against speedos. I’ve been a competitive swimmer since I was 15, and have always worn speedos for training sessions.

Speedos are for serious swimming. The way they contour around your body, reduces drag and significantly reduces speed. I would never dream of wearing boardshorts to the pool, and likewise I would never ever wear speedos at the beach. Or so, that’s what I thought.

It was a lovely Saturday and the beaches at Cancun were insanely crowded. I’ve traveled here with my friends on Spring Break, looking to rest my soul and reconnect with this group of friends who I have been neglecting since I’ve started university. They’re one of my oldest friends, and my best friend Marcus was amongst them.

Marcus was pretty much the polar opposite of it. While I had always been into sports such as swimming and soccer, Marcus was always more of an artist… being involved in the orchestra and design club. Due to our different interests, we have been drifting apart as of late and this Cancun trip would be a great opportunity for us to reestablish old bonds.

Right off the bat, we were heading to the beach on the first day. I pulled on my black pair of speedos and a pair of linen shorts. I brought a pair of black with yellow side boardshorts to change into when we got to the beach. I just didn’t like how the material of boardshorts felt on my thighs, and did not want to hike all the way to the beach in them. They also looked out of place. They were meant for fun at the beach… Not walking long distances from the resort to the beach.

We stopped for a small meal at a local diner before heading to the beach. During the meal, Marcus was oddly silent while our two other friends, Darius and Tommy, were speaking really loudly and over one another. It was evident that they were all excited for the trip but yet Marcus seemed reserved. When the conversation died down, I asked Marcus about what’s been bothering him.

"I forgot to pack my boardies, man… I don’t think I can join you guys at the beach."

Marcus had on a pair of denim shorts. Those definitely can’t be worn as a substitute to the water. It’ll take days to dry and it’s going to chaff and cause rashes.

"Don’t worry man, I’ll bring you to get some boardies at the beach. I’m sure there are shops there. They might be expensive, but let’s just take a look after this meal."

So while our two friends frolicked in the ocean, I followed Marcus along the stretch of beach looking for swimwear. There were many shops littering the beachfront and most had an assortment of swimwear for men, ranging from thongs, speedos to boardshorts. The boardshort designs were really classic and made of pretty good material but they were really exorbitant as they catered to tourists. Marcus didn’t bring enough money on him to afford them. On the other hand, speedos were a steal as they were the swimwear of choice amongst locals. With the amount of money he had, he could easily get two pairs of speedos.

I dug through the pile of speedos and pulled out a couple pairs of them for Marcus to look at. “Speedos are really nice too… I wear them during swim training and they are more comfortable than you would imagine, The fabric is good and dries easily… plus you could get two pairs so you can wear them alternately.”

"I don’t know if I could pull it off though…"

I passed Marcus a black pair. “You can’t go wrong with black. It’s a classic color, and you can definitely wear them at pools back home.”

"Well… I usually just wear shorts to the recreational pool. Most guys don’t wear them at the pool anyways."

"If I had to pick one for myself, I would pick a more funky pair since we’re on vacation. This pair looks nice! The print is fun and screams positivity…" I held out a pair of orange speedos with swirls of white all over it. "Or there is a version with black swirls too…"

"Well, I don’t know how comfortable I would be with wearing them since no one else at the beach is wearing speedos."

Marcus had a point. I looked around me but couldn’t spot a single person wearing speedos. They were mostly tourists in shorts and boardies. Even Darius and Tommy were sporting boardies. I’ve always said that Marcus is my best friend and I would do anything for him. Now is time to prove it with my actions.

"You could borrow my boardshorts. I’m wearing a speedo under my shorts right now, that way we could all have fun in the water." After saying it, I felt a tinge of anxiety over me… I’ve never worn my speedos to a beach before. Not to mention, as Marcus had pointed out, no one else was wearing speedos.

"Wow! Juan! You’re a great friend! Are you sure you would be okay with it?"

"Definitely." The beaming look that Marcus had on his face was worth it.

We headed back to our section of the beach where our friends were and I took out my boardshorts for him. Marcus emerged from the changing room with a very happy look on his face. The shorts fit him perfectly. They were slightly tight on me to begin with but looked just right for him.

"You’re a 28?"

"Yeah Juan… they fit me really well. Thanks! You’re a life savior." Marcus did a spin for me. "Shall we head to the sea?"

Bracing myself, I pulled off my linen shorts and felt self-conscious immediately… my black speedos were on display for the whole world to see!

"You look good, Juan! Only you can pull them off!"

I smiled. I’m shy and felt exposed but the smile on Marcus’s face told me that I made the right choice. “Just promise me you would try on a pair of speedos the next time so I wouldn’t have to bail you out again!”

"Only if you can catch me!" Marcus yelled as he made a dash for the ocean. I chased him on foot and began to close the gap. Once we hit the water, my speedos gave me a distinct advantage and I caught up to him. I dunked him several times in the water and we wrestled and laughed. We took many pictures that day, and it was only the first day of a week long vacation!

As the days go by, I was increasingly more confident of wearing my speedos at the beach, while loaning Marcus my boardshorts. Only one other time did we see another guy wearing speedos - a pair of white speedos that turned sheer… It was hardly a sight that I wanted to be associated with as a fellow speedo wearer. On the last day, we were scheduled to hit the beach again but Marcus had a little surprise for me.

"Remember how I said I would try on a pair of speedos if you could catch me?" I nodded. It was just a joke and I had no intention of holding Marcus to it. Unless…

"I went back to the store and bought a pair of speedos. The orange one with black swirl prints." Marcus unzipped his denim shorts to reveal his orange speedos. They looked really good on him and fitted him like a glove. "And… as a thank you… I got you the matching one with the white swirl prints that you seemed to like. You should wear them to the beach with me."

I was stoked! I changed out of my black speedos and pulled them on. They were tighter than my black pair and I had to wriggle my way into them.

"I hope they fit… The lady told me that since we were size 28 shorts that we should get size 26 speedos to get a better fit. They can’t be too baggy or something… And she doesn’t allow exchanges."

"I’m actually a size 30, so these are a little tighter than what I’m used to…" Marcus instantly looked chestfallen. "… but they feel really good and I like them!"

Marcus grinned, “Great! Then let’s hit the beach.”

My junk was well-outlined by the pair of tight speedos and I felt more self-conscious than I did previously. I guess it was a good thing that I had several days of de-sensitization with the black speedos or I would not have the courage to wear them in public. I reached out to grab my linen shorts but Marcus stopped me. “I’m worried I would chicken out at the beach and just wear my shorts into the water. So I was thinking of just wearing the speedos to the beach… What do you think?”

I winced. The beach was at least 200 metres away and that’s two blocks away from the resort. Passerbys would definitely notice my crotch in my speedos. “Alright…” Marcus happily pulled off his shorts and left them in my room. We met Darius and Tommy at the lobby and gave them a huge laugh. It must have certainly been a sight to see Juan and Marcus in matching orange speedos. After giving Marcus several high-fives, they immediately began to draw attention towards my tight speedos. Darius was just pointing and laughing while Tommy was commenting on how I had probably stuffed a sock under there. But all this ribbing was in good fun and I just took it like a good sport.

It was our final day at the beach, so we decided to play a beach soccer game with a wager. It was Marcus and I against Darius and Tommy. If our two friends lost, we would pick out a pair of speedos and they would wear them out whenever our group went to the beach. But if Marcus and I lost, we would have to wear these matching speedos every time we went to the beach. Despite our speedo speed advantage in the water, we ended in a tie… which meant that while Darius and Tommy would become speedo converts too, I still had to continue wearing these tight orange speedos. Darius and Tommy were complaining about the wager and the tie but Marcus grinned broadly and was enjoying the shenanigans. Somehow, I believe Marcus tied the game on purpose…

~