View Single Post
Old 08-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley67
We hear the term "speedo - friendly" used so often when talking about whether it is or is not appropriate to wear a speedo and whether or not the beach or pool or whatever is "speedo - friendly". Really, what difference does it make? If you are comfortable and want to wear a speedo, wear one that is appropriate (not a string bikini or a thong in public pools or Y's). If you're not comfortable, don't wear one. Maybe we are the ones who are either "speedo - friendly" or "speedo - unfriendly" rather than the venues.

I had a conversation with an 18 year old young man who is a lifeguard at my Y about speedos. All the guards there wear the guard boardshorts and lifeguard shirts. He said that when he does laps he wears a speedo and said that he can't understand why some people think that if you wear a speedo you're gay. He said that he feels like when you swim seriously, you wear a speedo. To him it was simple as that. I gave him a couple of my Euro Sportis which he really liked and when he wore one to try to learn how to do a flip turn, I was about to say to him, "you look (terrific or awesome) in the speedo, he finished my sentence with a huge grin and said, "I look like a swimmer." Point well made.

D67

That's just awesome. That guys confident and owns what he has.

I feel like straight guys get so uppity to not look gay in case someone calls them out on it. In a way, I feel this attitude and weak masculinity paves the way for sexism, homophobia and an all-around intolerance not to mention insecurity.

ALSO, I feel when we look for a "speedo friendly" pool or beach we're looking for one that draws an open-minded public where there aren't any douchey or frat guys to holler or tease people. This way the general public won't mind if someone wears a speedo. We can be as confident as we want, but you wouldn't wear a speedo at Laguna Beach where it's mostly a conservative crowd, or a beach that draws the most people. Let's be honest the general public is has this closed-minded, hypocritical attitude. It's improving but still not all there.

We really just rather avoid harassment if it ever happens.

Last edited by BriefBro : 08-02-2015 at 08:44 PM.