View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_OH_thonger
I respectfully disagree. In general, fashion trends go from the gay community to society in general. Moreover, they were in decline well before Gay Pride parades began to be televised. I am gay and regularly attend pride parades. The participants are not all in speedos, only a small minority (of which I am one, admittedly) are, when they are allowed at all. Many parades bill themselves as "family-friendly" and do not allow them at all. Styles change, and in time change back. Making the comment that "the Gays" are solely, and to the exclusion of all other forces, responsible for the decline of speedo wearing is at best ill-informed, and at worst biased. (I fear the latter is closer to the truth, since this argument appears every year about this time, as Pride season is approaching.)

I remember when speedos were just another swim suit style. Even prior to the pride festivities the speedos had gained a reputation of a gay favorite. Movies and television generally portrayed gays in speedos. Add to that how sections of beaches seem to have a section that is the gay section - populated by speedo or thong clad guys that personify the stereotype swishy fag. The parades have pretty much sealed the deal. While I understand that a minority of participants in a Pride parade are in speedos, tutus or less, the pictures in the newspaper are going to focus on guys dressing that way. It may not be an accurate representation of the event, but that is how it comes off do the seldom accurate press. I have never seen or participated in one of the parades because I feel they promote segregation. Kind of like saying we don't want to be part of the community, we want our own and you must accept it. I lived in Palm Springs and watched the Pride weekends and White Parties. The streets were cluttered with guys in revealing attire and unacceptable conduct. (IE: sucking a guy off in the Walgreens parking lot in the middle of the day) News reports are really not the best way to solicit acceptance. I find it funny that guys can't understand why they are assumed gay when wearing a speedo. Don't they pay attention?