View Single Post
Old 01-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Story: Student Exchange

During the summer of 2014, I went on a student exchange programme to Rome, Italy. It was just several weeks long but it was an experience that I would definitely remember. My grandparents were from Sicily and this trip felt like a genuine way to connect with my heritage. The people at the school were really welcoming and I particularly connected with Angelo, the vice-chairperson of the Exchange Student's Society.

The Exchange Student's Society was a student society set up with the sole purpose of integrating exchange students into the culture of the university and the people. They would bring us to the zoo, or wineries around the town... basically giving us an insider's look into their typical lives.

During the third week, Angelo organised a pool party for all the exchange students. I was really excited. The weather was very sunny and this would be a good time to tan on a pool chair and just enjoy the sun.

The day before the party, I chanced upon Angelo while heading to class.

"Hey, Romeo. You're coming tomorrow to my party?"

"Sure! I'm definitely going. Do you need me to bring anything for it?"

"I've got everything taken care of. I throw this party every year! I have to go for class though, remember to wear your slippini!" Angelo muttered as he dashed off to class.

Slippini? What's a slippini? I took out my phone and did a quick search. Pictures of guys wearing speedos with really small sides flooded my screen. Wow. I knew Europeans wore speedos at the beach, but I didn't know that Italians would go that far. Back in the US, I typically wore boardshorts like everyone but I guess when in Rome... you have to do what the Romans do. I'll just have to head to the mall after lessons.

I found a small boutique store at the mall that sold slippinis. They were pretty affordable, and I decided I was going to purchase two pairs. I tried on a black pair first, and I realised that they were surprisingly really comfortable. The fabric gently lifted my crotch while giving me the sense that I was naked. It was almost as if I was going commando. But the coverage of the material necessitate that I do some grooming before the party tomorrow. I tried on several different colors and went with the black ones and a pair of red ones.

Before the party, I gave myself a little trim around the nether regions. I tried on the two pairs of speedos I bought and admired myself in the mirror. The red pair was more urban but the black ones were definitely classic. I decided that I would go with the black one for the party.

At the party, Angelo told me to change and leave my bag in his bedroom before joining the rest. I noticed that he was just wearing shorts but I didn't probe further. He probably would change into his slippini later too, I just wondered what color they would be. I changed into the black pair of slippini and locked the door behind me as I left. This was the first time I had worn speedos, much less something this brief. I left the keys on his counter and headed into the backyard to join the rest.

Everyone turned to me as I entered and burst out into cheers and wolf whistles. They weren't in slippini like me! I was mortified.

"Angelo! You told me to get these slippini for the party!"

"Romeo! I said slippers... not slippini!" Angelo laughed. And so did everyone. "It's okay! There really is some Sicilian blood in you... Only people in Sicily wears slippini."

I blushed. Oh man... Way to hear something wrongly. It was definitely an embarrassing situation but I decided to just enjoy my time in the sun. After all, I was better able to tan in them compared to the rest.