View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 PM

Default Part LXXI

Part LXXI

A wrestling singlet is very similar to the rowing singlets they sell to water rowers for competitions. Both are snug-fitting suits that look almost like a second suits, with open (A-style shoulders and legs that reach to mid thigh).

One fairly big difference is that the rowing singlets sold in specialty shops typically retail for $75 to $100 each, but a name brand wrestling singlet typically sells for far less than that and can be found in places like EBay and Amazon.

Typically I am able to buy a wrestling singlet for under $30 and sometimes even in the $15-$20 range.

One difference I notice is that despite being just one piece, many of the true rowing singlet designs change colors at the waist (say a yellow top with a black lower) to make it appear from a distance that they have a separate top and bottom. I presume if they actually were a two-piece design, during rowing the top would work its way up exposing skin in the waist area so one piece is more practical than two as the rower cannot just stop rowing mid-stream to adjust his clothing.

There are all sorts of weight classes in wrestling and the sport is conducted specific to your weight class from 100 lbs (or maybe even less) to 250 pounds (or more). The basic idea behind the singlet design is to fit so snug as a second skin and not give your opponent something to grab, even inadvertently, much the same as water polo suits are cut really snug. But that also means that the singlets must be fitted exactly to each specific wrestler and each will have a different size and weight.

At last count I owned four of them, all purchased at on-line retailers. The tricky part in ordering them on line is determining what specific size to order. You already know I am very fond of a snug fit. I found an asicsŪ singlet and ordered one in Navy Blue size Small. It fit me perfectly and I ended up ordering two more this time in forest green and in black.

Then I got this idea that it would be fun to have a bright red one. I couldn’t find the same brand but I did find red ones in size Med. I thought I would try that. Nice Singlet except that it is not easy to get in and out of.

The tricky part about getting into a singlet is if you are going to get the arm straps over your shoulders you need to tug the suit as much as possible into your groin. Whether you think this is uncomfortable or fun is a matter for you to decide. But even with the suit really pulled up, getting the shoulder straps over my rower’s shoulders poses a challenge. And getting the straps back down poses an even bigger challenge.

I have been trying to figure out a way to mod the suit so the straps are a bit longer and I do have a sewing machine, but nothing obvious comes to mind without ruining the look of the suit. I have used my machines to cinch up straps of old athletic supporters that have gotten too loose and stretched out, but I am trying to make these straps longer not shorter.

Still, once I get in the suit looks fine and feels neat. I just hope I don’t need to go to the bathroom any time soon.

I got to thinking that the serious wrestlers may have the same problem, especially if they are still growing and the singlet they had been wearing is starting to get a little undersized. Maybe this is one reason why some wrestlers are reluctant to wear these.

Still, I am getting in and out of the asicsŪ singlets fine that are supposed to be one size smaller. I even wear these singlets over running tights and long-sleeved compression tops.

I could go out and about pulling on a pair of my skinny jeans over the bottom. It would just look like I was wearing a colorful A-shirt on top. But using a restroom could pose quite a problem!

http://www.mensswimsuitboard.com/for...9&d=1578594218

Update: I decided it would be interesting to pull on the red Russell Singlet that was giving me fits getting the shoulder straps on over my shoulders on top of my Tesla running tights and long sleeved black compression tee. Not only did the singlet straps go on over my shoulders MUCH easier, it looks great over the black compression gear as well.... Not sure why but the setup feels great as well:-)

To be continued…

Last edited by sebbie : 01-09-2020 at 08:20 PM.