View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 PM

I'm not surprised that you saw the guys in race briefs. I have noticed the trend over the few years at the high school level has been back to briefs, a little more each year. In fact, I posted last year that the team I coach was jammer-less for the first time in years. This year I have two guys who do jammers, but they are getting prodded by the other guys to switch back to briefs. I think the end of the long leg and full body tech suits might have part to do with it. Also, swimmers like Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps and Diver Tom Delay, who are very comfortable and confident in briefs might also be a driver. At the college level, I don't think briefs ever really went totally out of appeal, many of the best swimmers hate the feel of the lycra grabbing their legs. In the end, however, it is about the suit that will help produce the best time, and at the college level every bit helps in a close event. I am jealous of a swim meet on TV. The best we had in college was the occasional photo spread on the sports page.