View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM

Default was a novelty at the time.

What's interesting is that the 1980's ads (Caught for speeding) probably came out when Lycra/Spandex was new and probably was considered a cool space-age material.

So maybe some people flocked to wearing these suits since it was a way to wear the latest. It's like that in any sports, right?

I doubt many people really competed seriously, so that it did not make a lot of difference compared to plain nylon or polyester suits. But maybe it was nice to be considered a serious swimmer.

I bet (can anyone remember) those suits were expensive too when first introduced, so there may be a luxury or high status associated with wearing Lycra/Spandex?

I wonder how much these men's briefs or women's one piece suits cost back then -- and adjusting for inflation, how much these latest suits would cost today.

Speedo's Fastskin costs a lot today, but since it looks just like any other suit, I bet there isn't much status. Maybe back then, people can tell you were wearing the latest Lycra suit since the other ones were less skin-tight?

Last edited by JamesSwim : 08-31-2014 at 09:38 PM.