Thread: The Tornados
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 05:56 PM

"Coach is really going to be pissed", Jimmy and Nick said, almost in unison.

"I remember the first day of practice you told me that Coach is tough but fair and that you can always go and talk to him", Jimmy said to Bryan. "Maybe he'll just think it was funny and a great way to show everyone that swimmers have spirit and guts."

"I know I said that dude, but I don't know about this, maybe he's going to be pissed because we did it in the gym. Maybe he'll think that what we did was an embarrassment to the team."

"Coach wanted to know whose idea it was and nobody answered, I think that whatever happens, we don't put the blame on just one guy. We need to own up to what we did as a team," said Nick. Bryan, Jimmy, George, and all the other guys agreed that they would all stand together regardless of what Coach does.

Once the rally was over, Coach called the whole team into the locker room. The guys didn't know whether he was going to ream them out or tell them the stunt was funny and showed school and team spirit which was what the guys intended. They all stood there in the locker room waiting for Coach and feeling really nervous. "It'll be just my luck", Jimmy said, "I'm finally on the swim team, feeling OK about wearing the tiny team suits, even around girls, and Coach is going to come in and blast us, especially the freshmen just to make a point."

"Jimmy, that's crazy, we don't know what Coach is going to do and since we're all going to take responsibility as a team, whatever he does, he'll treat all of us the same", said Nick.

Hearing that from Nick seemed to make Jimmy feel a little better, a little less scared, a little more protected. "Why does Nick always make me feel better, why do I always look to him for support, why do I always like how he looks, especially in the tiny team suits? Bryan's my best friend since we were kids, why don't I feel the same way about him? I just don't understand it", thought Jimmy as they waited for Coach.

Coach came into the locker room as all of the guys were gathered, waiting for their punishment? praise?, they just didn't know.

"That was quite a stunt you pulled in the gym during the rally," Coach started. "No swim team of mine has ever done that in all the years that I've been coaching. It turned the rally upside down and created a real uproar among your fellow students."

Coach hadn't given the team any clue as to what he thought about what they had done. So far, what he said could be taken both ways, good or bad.

Coach continued, "I appreciate that you wanted to show team spirit and in a unique way. It's obvious that you all were in this together and that both upper class men and lower class men were included. You acted in a way that shows that you're a team, that you'll work together as a team, and that you haven't blamed any one person. That's team spirit and that's how a team bonds."

Jimmy, Bryan, Nick, George and the rest of the guys heaved a collective sigh of relief as they heard what Coach had said. Nobody said a word, they just listened.

"But", Coach began, "there's a time and place for everything and the school gym during a pep rally was not the place for stripping down to your team suits like you're the Chippendales (nobody dared to laugh) with 'Tornadoes R Hot' written on your chests."

"Here it comes", Jimmy whispered to Bryan.

"Today is not the day, however, for punishment, you've got your first meet of the season coming up tonight, and I really believe that you meant well. Your job is to grow up, make mistakes, be called on them by me or another adult, learn from your mistakes, and then move on. My job is to teach you what's appropriate behavior for a member of my swim team. So there won't be any suspensions, detentions or other consequences of your actions today. But be prepared for a long and hard practice tomorrow. And think about why what you did wasn't appropriate for the time and place. And let's have a great first meet of the season. Be ready to warm up at 3:00."

With that, the coach left the locker room. He didn't storm out, he didn't just saunter out, he walked out and none of the guys knew how he really felt because, above all, Coach plays his cards very close to his chest and that itself is very disconcerting for the guys, especially today.

"I can't believe that he's not going to punish us and that he really didn't ream us out so bad", said Jimmy to Nick and Bryan.

"He's going to punish us alright, just you wait until practice tomorrow", Bryan said.

"He certainly will", agreed Nick. "But for now, let's make sure we have an awesome meet today."

"You know", Jimmy said to Nick and Bryan, "Coach never even asked whose idea this was."

.....to be continued

Last edited by Dooley67 : 12-06-2014 at 11:12 PM.