View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 02:28 AM
Speedo Member

Many years ago, the Solar really had 1 inch sides. Came in some fun patterns as well. Then they switched to the 2 inch sides, and offered it only in a bunch of solid colors. These all have the seam up the middle of the front and back.

I find this is the only Speedo suit that doesn't run true to size, I'm normally a 34, but have to wear a 32 in these so they don't flap as I swim. I think that the pouching is for men who don't want to be "compressed" in the front, so they are avoiding complaints of "too small" from customers buy a suit in their (vanity sizes) pants size.

Recently they started making patterned Solar suits, still with 2 inch sides. But they are conventional in design, no seams on the front and back, and with conventional Speedo sizing and fit. (Your waist at the top of the suit is the right size.) However, the two I have (Gold and Wavy Mood in "Bittersweet") are fully lined. While I'm not a fan of fully lined suits (too diaper-like), these aren't bad. They are nylon/Lycra, so they have good stretch.

They are also using this new (seamless) cut for the Solar Logo suits.

The patterns in the printed Solar suits are nice and fun. Speedo USA showing far better taste than they usually do. (Speedo Europe normally makes much more attractive and interesting patterned suits.)