View Single Post
Old 03-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Default Part 2

Part 2

Paula turned to look in the direction of the elevated voice. A female lifeguard was standing poolside. ‘It was just a peck on the cheek,’ she replied, realising her transgression.
‘It wasn’t that.’
It was clear that the lifeguard wasn’t going to explain until they met face-to-face. Paula quickly swam to the pool steps, clambered up them and walked forcibly towards her. She stood opposite her, arms folded, and was barely able to conceal her irritation at being dragged away from her new boyfriend.
‘What does that sign say?’ the lifeguard demanded, pointing at the swimming pool noticeboard.
‘Quite a few things. I don’t see your point.’
‘One of the rules says, “appropriate swimwear must be worn”.’
‘Still don’t see it.’
‘That - is not appropriate swimwear,’ she declared, pointing at her bikini.
‘I beg to differ.’
‘It is not. Now you can either change into a proper bathing costume or leave the pool.’
‘How is it not appropriate swimwear?’
‘You’re showing off your bare ass, dear. You cannot do that when there are children about. This is supposed to be a family-friendly environment.’
‘I am family-friendly. I have a son and he doesn’t have a problem with me wearing this.’
‘That figures,’ she said, rolling her eyes. ‘Do you have another bathing costume?’
‘No.’
‘Then I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to leave. You can ask for a refund at reception.’

Paula had never felt embarrassed with her choice of bikini. Her entire selection of swimwear consisted of this and two others of the same type, in red and white. She always wore these on holiday without any trouble. But this was different. To be banned from an establishment was humiliating. She had to think quickly.
‘No. I’m not leaving.’
‘Look – I don’t want to have to call security.’
‘When you go into a coffee shop, and you’re warned about the drink being hot, why is that? Isn’t it obvious it’ll be hot?’
‘I don’t get your point.’
‘It’s in case someone burns themselves, and they file a lawsuit on the grounds they hadn’t been given sufficient warning. The company has to protect itself.’
‘So?’
‘And there lies the problem with your signage. What is appropriate swimwear? You may think you know what it is, but others may think differently. Unless there is a full description of what you can and can’t wear, it’s open to interpretation.’
The lifeguard gave it some thought, but was not yet prepared to stand down. ‘Fair point, but I will take full responsibility for my decision.’
‘You can, but I will then sue your company for everything I can get. I have the financial means to do so, believe me.’ Paula glared at her, waiting for her next move.
‘Fine. You win. You can stay.’
‘Well done. You made the right choice.’ Paula offered to shake her hand, but was refused. It was no issue for her, and she re-joined Stephen in the pool.

‘Okay ¬ let’s get out of here,’ she said
Stephen looked bemused. ‘I thought the lifeguard had allowed you to stay?’
‘I had to win the argument. But I’m not staying somewhere I’m not welcome.’
‘So, do we visit your parents now?’
‘Indeed. We can go swimming in my parents’ pool. And the dress code there is no swimwear!’