Thread: Simply Red
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 PM

Default Part 4

Part4

Roland and Mr Grubber remounted their bikes and rode away from the old settlement. They started to climb again and reaching the top of the next level of hills they followed a ridge from which they could see the sea on the distant horizon. Roland was amazed how comfortable the cycle shorts felt as he wore them. The padding in the seat took the pain out of the bumps he rode over, while the Lycra behaved like a second skin and he loved seeing the red stripe as his legs came up on the pedals. Ahead of him he could see Mr Grubber riding in his shorts, the black shiny fabric looked painted onto his rump, 'Do I look like that ?' Roland wondered.
They continued along the ridge until it fell away into a hanging valley below them. There was a lake in the valley looking pristine, clear and beautiful, reflecting the sky above them on it's surface. They made their way down to the lake, and stopped beside it to rest a while. Mr Grubber took the water bottle from his bike and refilled then drank deeply, Roland did the same, the water was cool and sweet, almost effervescent. Having drunk their fill they walked their bikes down a steep path beside a waterfall coming down from the lake. At the base of the waterfall there was a basin leading into a gully going further down the hill, the path followed the side of the gully and was ridable for the bikes. It was a long and fast downhill ride, the stream leading the path left and right, the two riders swinging their bikes in on the corners.
They noticed the hard soil showing sand, then found themselves riding on dirty sand in which their tyres dug, suddenly they left the gulley behind them the ground opening up into a wide sandy bay leading into the sea. The stream itself seemed to disappear into the sand before reappearing as a pool where the sea came in and out on the tide.
Their bike tyres ground to a halt in the sand, Roland drew level with Mr Grubber, “Welcome to Pelican Bay !” said Mr Grubber.
The beach seemed mostly level until it reached just above the tidal area where it slopped down towards the sea. They pushed their bikes down to the slope then lay them down, chains uppermost, on the sand. “Did I tell you that you were carrying the lunch ?” asked Mr Grubber.
Roland opened his pack to find pies, sandwiches and crisps. They began to eat sitting side by side on the sand and looking at the people on the beach with them. They appeared to be cyclists or hikers as they all had bikes or rucksacks but most of them seemed to be sitting or lying on the beach in speedos or bikinis, while a few were wading or swimming in the sea. Roland pulled off his shirt first and then Mr Grubber followed suit.
After they'd finished eating they stretched out on the sand and relaxed for a while, then Roland said that he was going swimming. He felt inside the bag bag pulled out both his football shorts and speedos then pushed the football shorts back into the bag. It was a struggle putting the speedos on while covering himself with his tee shirt but if he showed more than he should nobody seemed to notice or object. He walked down to the water, waded in and started to swim to the centre of the bay. Turning around he looked back, it was so peaceful here, so good to wear his speedos even if they were too tight and feel the waves flowing over his body. Looking to his right he saw that there was a second smaller bay there hidden from where they had been on the beach, so he swam towards it. Coming closer to the beach in the second bay he started to notice that the few people here appeared to be naked. Slightly shocked Roland swam back to his own bay and then coming ashore ran himself dry back to where Mr Grubber and the bikes were.
It was an even greater struggle to get out of the tight black speedos now they were wet, trying to sit on the sand cover himself with the tee shirt and pull them off seem impossible. Mr Grubber was sitting next to him laughing out loud until he told Roland to stand up. Roland stood up, Mr Grubber grabbed each side of the swim suit with one hand and then yanked them downwards, pulling the soggy Lycra down to Roland's knees. He quickly pulled on his cycle shorts before anyone would notice too much.
“Why do you wear such ridiculously tight speedos ? “ asked Mr Grubber, “Well, you see,” started Roland “They are my old school ones, I really want some new ones but I can't buy them at the Outfitters or everyone in the village would find out, and I can't buy them mail order in case my parents or the postman notice I'm getting a parcel. Mr Grubber, can I tell you a secret ?”
Mr Grubber nodded, looking amused, “I would really love a new red pair of speedos that fit properly and I'd like them even briefer than these ones, and in that village there's no way I can have them.”
Mr Grubber had to put his hand to his mouth to hide a laugh as he realised Roland was serious. “Don't worry about.” said Mr Grubber, “I'm sure you'll get some new speedos one day. By the way, you don't have to call me Mr, my name is Jason.”

Once they were dressed Roland and Jason Grubber made there way back up to the lake, along the ridge and then down to the settlement. At the settlement Jason put his track bottoms back on and Roland changed out of the cycle shorts and back into his football shorts. They then rode back down the track to the village and home. It was dusk as they arrived home, Roland helped Jason put the bikes away then handed back the day pack, helmet and mitts he'd worn.
“Thanks for a great ride” said Roland as he left to cross the road.
He had forgotten that he'd left his old school speedos in the day pack.