View Single Post
Old 04-07-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchwatch
In the mid-late 70s we were watching the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, we would see strong men in wet suits, swim bikinis and speedos in the sea and on various boats. They were working. exploring and relaxing, they were real men doing real things in the sunshine while not wearing much and it didn't matter to them that they were being filmed. We watched the Olympics on TV and saw young men at their best swimming and diving in speedos, the cameramen didn't cut to above the waist shots and it didn't matter but that was what I wanted to look like at the swimming pool and on the beach.
My first pair of nylon Speedos were 3" sides and I liked them so much I wanted 2" ones. Then Lycra Speedos came along and amazing colours and patterns were possible.
In the swimming pool I'd try to wear something slightly briefer than the classic 2" racing Speedo and risk wearing 1.5" sides. On the beach especially in France with huge open sandy beaches I'd wear minimal men's swim bikinis
and experimented with swim thongs.
I've built up a collection and on a beach visit will take selection so I can choose what seems appropriate on the day, from Brave Person to Classic Racing Speedos.
In the early 1990's there was a trend for white slightly transparent speedos, even pool lifeguards were wearing them when they went into the water, and yes I've got some white, yellow and ice blue swim briefs but am discrete about where and when I wear them.
I think I read somewhere that the brief swimwear was because they were being filmed and when the cameres were off, so were the swimsiuts.