View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 01:19 PM

Default A short guide on buying and wearing running tights

A short guide on buying and wearing running tights

As many of you are well aware, I have really gotten “hooked” on wearing running tights. Somehow during the pandemic, when I have been spending most of my time in the house and doing a lot of exercising, these seem to be working very well. I grew up in a cold climate in the Midwest, and we all switched from short to long underwear in the winter months. The long underwear was designed to be worn under jeans so they fit quite snug as well. The problem was that they were typically made of a coarse-knit cotton sometimes called a thermal knit and they were scratchy as all get out—not comfortable to wear at all.

A pair of smooth, slick running tights would have been a welcome relief from the thermal underwear, or the snug-fitting tights could have been worn UNDER the thermal underwear. But such a garment was not available. I like to think about how these would have improved my life when I was growing up. So let me now try and answer some questions you might have about this.

Sizing issues…How snug should these fit?

This is the most common question I see in the on-line reviews question sections. My take on this is that snugger is better, and you want these to fit to your body like a second skin. The fabric stretches a lot. I am 5’10” and with the SM size in the Tesla brand they are still come down to my ankles. If I were to suggest a size on these I would say go one size SMALLER than your usual size, and definitely do not upsize for fear that what you will get will be too tight. A really skin-tight fit is what you want.

What should I wear UNDER the tights?

I do a lot of stationary rowing and biking as exercise in my home gym area, and these require me to be on my bottom a lot. The tights will likely hold up better if there is something underneath. I have tried all sorts of ideas. A strap or thong provides inadequate or nonexistent coverage or padding in the area where I need it on my bike or rowing machine. Another option is a swim brief. But after having tried all of this I keep coming back to a simple cotton underwear brief. They are cheap, absorb sweat and I can put on a freshly laundered pair every day. This they help keep the tights clean meaning they will need to be laundered less frequently if at all. I go for an undersized white pair, but there is any number of inexpensive colored cotton briefs that would do equally well. This seems like a simple solution but in this case simple and cheap works very well.

What should I wear OVER the tights?

Some tights with multiple panels seem to be designed to look like an undergarment (these may even have a fly) whereas others are made to look fine without covering them. This winter I ended up wearing the same pair over and over, a pair I thought that looked more like an undergarment. So in the cold weather I wore sweatpants over them (and a sweatshirt over a long-sleeved compression tee). But as the weather gets a bit warmer there are many other options. A pair of gym shorts (I have a “Gold’s Gym” logo pair), or maybe a swimming jammer that will show the tights at and below the knee. How cold is it? What are you planning on doing that day? Maybe even a pair of football pants. An equally snug-fitting wrestling singlet? There are many interesting options to try here depending on the temperature and what you are planning on doing that day. Maybe even wear then under your skinny jeans too.

Can tights be used as bedtime wear?

I have been experimenting with this and the answer is yes, absolutely. I still like to wear an undergarment of some sort underneath though, Maybe a thong, a strap or a favorite swim brief. You never know what might happen during the night and an extra layer can prove helpful in such a situation. I slip out of the tights I use for daytime wear and into another different pair at bedtime. This was both cozy and fun, but especially so with the right thong or swim brief underneath If you are seeking a way to stay horny all night long this is something to try experimenting with for sure.

Is a $40 name brand tight from a company such as UnderArmor a better tight than one purchased for $15 on Amazon with an odd name?

I have been trying to determine the answer to this question but having good success with the $15 versions I have been reluctant to spend the money to find out what advantages a $40 or 450 tight has over a $15 tight. The $15 ones all seem to get very favorable reviews. If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate hearing from them!

All the best in your quest!

Sebbie