View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 10:56 PM

Default 13: Sunrise Coffee

The sun was not up, yet. The cool morning air felt refreshing. The waves could be heard crashing onto the sandy shore. It was just past 4:30 am. I loved being up before anyone. It was my favorite time at the beach. We had come here every Summer of my life. Same house, same week. It felt like we owned the place. It was familiar, comfortable. We were just off the beach, so close you could see it from the higher decks. Certainly could hear it, and the air had the salt smell. I was wearing a new orange print Speedo suit. It was a bit of Southwestern look, I saw it at the sporting goods store the week before vacation and just had to have it. It was one of two I picked just for the beach. My swimsuit addiction had already started, something I would keep as I grew older.

The slider opening broke my captivating with listening to the waves. The sun was just peeking on the horizon. Ryan stepped onto the deck. He was wearing a pair of really short running shorts. The kind where the sides were able to fully open. Almost as narrow as my swimsuit on the sides. He looked cute, or in run terms dashing.

“Hey, I wondered where you went.” We all shared the loft overlooking the main floor.

“I love being out here early,” I replied.

“Want to be alone?” he asked.

“You can stay out, I just like watching the sun rise,” I explained. “You going for a run?”

“Yeah, once it gets lighter,” he answered.

“Cool shorts,” I added. “I made some coffee if you want some.” I had just started liking coffee. Of course, as a young guy, it had to be sweetened with sugar. I think I more liked the smell. “I will get you some.”

“Looks like someone has a new swimsuit,” Ryan said as I walked past. He was with me when I saw them. I grinned.

——-

The sunrise was spectacular, as it always is. Ryan and I talked about life, teased each other, and sometimes just sat silently taking it all in. “You never really told me what happened with Kathy,” Ryan asked, shifting the focus from the sunrise.

“Nothing, really. I just wasn’t into it.” I hoped he would leave it there.

“Not into her, or just not into having a girlfriend,” Ryan pressed on. It was not bad or rude, we always had deep conversations.

“What if I told you maybe that I like guys,” I asked.

“Honest answer,” Ryan paused. .....