View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 04:33 PM

I suspect that these mini suits are derived not from a speedo design but from the precursor of the Brazillian sungas.
The breeches and trousers that evolved in Northern Europe were made of 4 panels that met in in crossed seams under the crotch. Many shorts are also 4 panel though lighter shorts may be 2 panel (left and right).
Square cut swimming trunks tend to be 4 panel, while swim briefs and bikinis can be 2, 3 or 4 panel but still with seams under the crotch.

I suspect that the Brazillian sungas evolved from a native loincloth, it consisted with a waistband of fabric with originally a loop of fabric between the legs but later reduced to a figure of 8 shaped patch sewn in front and back.
The modern sungas has evolved further into something between a speedos and a square cut.

I have a Chinese Aussibum rip off sungas made with the figure of 8 patch with 6.5" sides, I bought them when this subject came up before and they looked interesting.

The project is to use this design to make a 1.5 " low cut patched crotched sungas.