Thread: Double Standard
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 06:00 AM
Speedo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDave
Back in the 60's the TV show 'Batman' was on. Both Robin and Batman wore tights. The networks were concerned about the overt display of the mens' privates. They devised a way to make the tights less revealing by additional inserts and undergarments. The idea of not displaying the males genitals is nothing new. At the end of the last century the speedo was not an uncommon sight by pools or beaches. However, when the gays came out of the closet they seemed to be wearing speedos. It was also the unofficial uniform of the Pride parades. Thus, outside of water ports, Speedos=Gay. As you will notice, most of the speedo wearers are guys that got used to them in the 80's or 90's - before the stigma arrived. Now, even a straight guy in speedos is either assumed gay, ribbed by their friends as being gay or about the size of their bulge or, the worst, get hit on by a gay. The last is a real cinched that he will never wear them again. His masculinity has been challenged. Straights almost all have a pair or two in their drawer, but worn under swim shorts. (occasionally on vacation or by a back yard pool)
It is a fact - a once comfortable and practical swim suit has been labeled Gay. It may change in future decades but as gays seem to like to flaunt themselves in speedos, it isn't likely. The guys that are intent on wearing white unlined speedos or bikini style suits - usually too small - have really sealed the fate of their reputation . Its sad that the few using their over exposed state to use as a way to get laid, or prancing in a parade to announce their gayness have ruined it for the guys that just want the freedom of a brief fitting suit. Whining about it won't change anything. Responsible actions in a speedo when in public is the only way to make them more acceptable.

Couldn’t agree more.
I grew up in extreme rural America where farming was the only way of life. Men and boys wore denim jeans year round regardless of the weather as they were far more practical. We enjoyed swimming in ponds, creeks and water troughs, oftentimes in our birthday suits just to cool off and rinse the hay and tobacco dust from us. The rare occasion we visited a pool we wore baggy swimming trunks or a pair of jersey shorts. Recreation was not a very well understood word or, at least, practiced. Homophobia was a real issue among adolescent boys to the extent some thought it as a disease that was contagious. Naturally, we had gay members within or community but until they became adults and moved away, most of them never truly identified as gay due to the fear of persecution from the very hypocritical Catholic Church congregation which made up the majority of the population. The gay stereotype, as I recall clearly was males wearing short shorts, belly shirts and, course, speedos. We were taught this through our parents and them through their parents.
Now, we do live in a different world and, at least in my community, the strict conservative believes have subsided quite a bit and most are far more accepting of others who choose to live a different lifestyle. To each his or her own as I’ve believed for quite some time. Unfortunately, the stereotype of the wearing of speedos or swim briefs by men is still fairly strong which repels most males from even considering trying a pair on. I do blame this ideology on the fact the gay community so openly flaunts their nearly nude bodies, while donning bikini style swimsuits as they express themselves walking through streets displaying gay pride flags. I have no issues with the gay community whatsoever and am proud my community has finally began accepting them for who they are but when the gay community takes to the streets in the name of gay pride, are they promoting their right to be gay or are they using the marches as an excuse to sexualize the situation?
I really tried my best to word this response in a way that will not offend anyone but express my discontent with some members of the gay community using the swim brief/Speedo/bikini as the most visually persuasive approach to promote gay pride.