Thread: What to wear?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM

Default Wrestling singlets

At first take, a Lycra-blend wrestling singlet would appear to be something very different from a standard Lycra-blend swimming brief, but for a lot of guys they have a lot in common. For starters, they are both designed to be worn with a very snug fit, despite the obvious differences in size and body coverage of the two suits. I suspect that most guys who might be apprehensive about wearing a snug-fitting swim brief would also have some apprehension about getting into and wearing a properly snug-fitting singlet.

Singlets are designed to conform to a guy’s body as tight as is reasonably feasible in part because of the nature of the wrestling sport. A smooth, body-conforming singlet is going to make it very difficult for the opponent to get a firm grip on a guy, so, in that respect the tighter the fit the better. But that means that the best-fitting singlet for competitive wear is going to be more than a little difficult to get into and out of. That is something of a dilemma but is also part of the fun.

As my readers know, I am very much into stationary rowing, and have been engaging in that for over 30 years. One of the benefits of stationary rowing on a daily basis is that it is a very easy way to build strong, wide shoulders not to mention chest and upper body. Part of my interest in stationary rowing is that I thought it would be a simple way to increase the size and strength of my shoulder and lat muscles and that has proven to be true, and I have much broader shoulders than most guys my age.

Wrestlers at the high school and college levels come in all sorts of different sizes and compete in matches in a lot of different weight classes. For a singlet to fit correctly, almost as a second skin, so your opponent has as little as possible to grab in attempting to take you or hold you down, the singlet needs to be available in enough sizes to accommodate all the different sizes of wrestler . For me, I would logically wear a singlet labeled as Medium, given that I am 5’10” and 150 lbs. But my problem has been that a singlet this size fits me very well in the bottom into the chest, but getting the shoulder straps in place, at least for some brands, has posed a struggle. I conclude that those who engage in stationary rowing are not built like an average wrestler of the same size, and the difference is mainly in the shoulder size.

Of course, there are techniques I have learned to make it possible to get the shoulder straps in proper position, but these typically involve first recognizing that the shoulder straps will go on easier if the singlet is first cinched up as much as possible into the groin area and buttocks, which can be interesting to say the least. And using a wrestling singlet as garb for rowing once I am in works well, in part because with each rowing stroke the rower’s shoulders give a nice firm tug to the groin and buttocks.

A lot of guys would probably “react” to this situation in much the same way they would to being in a snug-fitting swim brief. All the tugging and pulling that goes on in the groin area probably will elicit some bodily “responses” whether or not a guy consciously wants to go there or not. Oozing precum is certainly a real possibility under the circumstances I have described.

Not being a wrestler myself in any part of my life, I have been curious as to what high school and college wrestlers like to wear under a wrestling singlet. From what I have learned so far, there is no standard answer to this. Going into this research I presumed that perhaps an old school jock strap might still be favored and maybe with a hard or soft cup. But I presume wrestlers tend to avoid even inadvertently attacking an opponent in the groin area, or points in the match will be lost if not disqualification. So perhaps the need for a hard cup is minimized by how the wrestling matches are scored.

The most consistent answer I have heard on this topic is that wrestlers wear pretty much whatever works for them in their particular situation. No doubt many wrestlers would think a damp precum spot on the front of their singlet right at the penis tip could prove embarrassing in a public match, so maybe some snug fitting briefs made of absorbent cotton would work to absorb the precum before it show up as an oval stain on the singlet. Loose-fitting boxer shorts worn under a singlet for a variety of obvious reasons would appear to work less well.

A wrestling singlet is an interesting choice for engaging in a variety of non-competitive gym sports from weightlifting to stationary rowing and bike riding and are a particularly good choice for guys who get a little turned on by the fit and feel of Lycra-blend fabrics that snug . As I see it, the trickiest part is getting the sizing correct for your specific build so that you succeed in getting that neat snug fit you want without having too much difficulty getting in and out of the singlet.

To be continued…