View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 08:48 PM

I too was a lot more bashful as a kid, doing the towel-dance or changing in a bathroom stall. Now, I just don't care. I used to work at a mine, and shift start involved stripping down at our locker, moving to the mine side where our work cloths were hung, and changing into our work gear, and then doing the reverse at the end of the shift, except stopping to shower. The mine dry is a massive open room, the showers are wide open, and there is no privacy. At first, I kept my underwear on, but I was the minority and felt more conspicuous with clothing on. Eventually I fell in line too and just got used to the nudity. No one cares and it was better to just keep your dirty gear separate from your clean clothes.

Where I swim now, it's pretty old school too, open showers and lockers. I will normally strip down once I'm in the shower to rinse out my suit. To be honest, I find it more comfortable in the gang shower rather than being cramped in a small cubicle without room to move. I go pretty early - 6am -so there usually aren't very many people around when I am. Maybe 1 or 2 at most. Far cry from the 100 or so at the mine!