View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 01:20 AM

Default The Fitting Room

Part 3: The Fitting Room

It fit, barely. Any smaller, and I wouldn't have got the swim brief on. I'd picked a Nike brief first, black with blue paint like splatter design. I checked myself out in the mirror. It was a strange experience wearing something so small, but I kind of liked how I looked.

I took off the Nike and put on a simple Speedo with stripes down the side. "How's it going in there?" my mom asked from outside. I jumped a little when I heard her voice.

"Fine."

"Can I take a look?" She didn't give me an opportunity to respond as she peeked around the curtain. When she saw I was dressed, she pulled it open the rest of the way. "That one looks nice. How does it fit in the back?" My mom hasn't helped my buy clothes in years, but I turned around obediently like I had when I was younger and my mom was checking on me in the dressing room. "Fits you perfectly. What do you think?"

"It's okay, I guess."

"How are the others?"

"I haven't tried them all yet," I replied.

"How's everything going over here?" asked Katie. I could hear her voice, but not see her. She was standing to the side of the door.

"Great," my mom replied. "I'm just going to try this on," she said holding up a swimsuit. "Are there any other dressing rooms? My daughter's in this one," she said indicating the room next to mine.

"Just the two," said Katie.

"That's okay, we'll share," replied my mom. "Mind stepping out for a sec?" she asked me.

I couldn't think of a reason to say no, so I came out of the dressing room. My mom went inside and closed the curtain.

"Looks good on you."

'Huh?" I said still in a nervous daze. I'd forgotten Katie was standing right there.

"The suit," said Katie. "I figured you for more of a shorts guy."

"I'm, uh, trying something new this summer."

"That's cool. You going to Europe for vacation or something?" she asked.

"No, I just um...," I paused. I couldn't think of a good way to respond.

"Wanted something smaller?" she finished my sentence.

"I guess," I said noncommittally.

"Maureen and I went on the Italy trip last year." Our high school offers a week long trip to Europe with one of the history teachers. Only a few kids go, since it's expensive. "All the European guys wear bikinis. Sadly, they don't all look as good as you. The bigger the gut, the smaller the swimsuit," she said laughing.

My mom pulled the curtain aside, bringing a welcome interruption. "What do you think?" she asked. I just shrugged at her. She walked out of the dressing room and over to one of the full length mirrors on an adjacent column.

My sister opened the curtain to her dressing room. "I think I'm going to take this one," she said.

"Let's see," my mom said. My sister turned around slowly. She was wearing a string top and bikini bottom. As she turned around, I saw that the bottom left most of her butt exposed. "A bit cheeky in the back, no?" asked my mom when she saw.

"It's the style this year," said my sister. "Too small?"

"I think it's cute," said my mom.

"We actually have the bottom you're wearing in the thong style if you want to try it on," Katie interjected pointing at my mom's suit.

My mom hesitated then said, "Sure, why not."

"I'll be right back," said Katie and she walked away.

"What happened to the rest of your suit?" my sister joked when she saw me.

"Leave your brother alone," said my mom.

"Sorry. I'm going to change," said my sister going back into her fitting room.

"Why don't you try on the rest of your bikinis," said my mom. I went back into my dressing room and pulled the curtain shut.

I took off the brief I was wearing, and put on another Nike suit. From outside, I could hear Katie say, "Here you go. If you need anything else, I'll be up front." I checked myself out in the mirror.

"Just about done in there?" asked my mom.

"Not quite," I said. I took off the brief and tried on another.

My mom pulled the curtain aside and asked again, "Almost done? I just want to try this on."

"I've got a couple more," I said.

"Well, do you mind if I come in with you? I don't want to spend all day here."

"Mom!" I exclaimed.

"What? It's not like you've got anything that I didn't see yesterday."

"Fine, whatever," I conceded. She stepped around the curtain and pulled it shut.

She wasted no time pulling off her bottom and putting on the thong version. "I thought you had other suits to try on," she said to me. Reluctantly, I pulled off the briefs I was wearing and put on the second to last suit leaving the skimpy Tyr for last "What do you think of this?" she asked turning in a circle so I could see what she was wearing.

"Looks good, I guess," I said. I wasn't about to tell my mom she was hot, even though she was. Too awkward.

She checked herself out in the mirror and said, "What the hell. You only live once." To me she said, "Do you want to take a look at yours?" We traded places so I could see the mirror. In the reflection, I could see her taking her bikini off behind me. "Is that the last one?" I was too distracted by her nakedness to respond. "Josh?"

"Um, yeah," I lied hoping it would get me out of there sooner.

My mom picked up the other suits and asked, "What's the verdict then?" I pointed to the Speedo Katie had liked. "Didn't like this one?" she asked holding up the colorful Tyr 2" brief.

"I didn't try it," I admitted.

"Why not?" she asked. "I think it's fun. Just try it on," she said holding it out to me.

I took the bikini from her. "Are you going to get dressed?"

"You in a hurry? You used to love taking showers with me."

"Mom!"

"Try on the bikini. I'll get dressed." I took off the suit I was wearing and tried on the Tyr while she put on her clothes. "That one looks great," said my mom when I'd put on the suit.

"Too crazy," I replied.

"Oh, you're no fun," she said. "Take it off and I'll bring them up front." I pulled off the Tyr and handed it to her. "Get dressed and I'll meet you at the checkout." She slipped out of the dressing room and pulled the curtain shut.

I got dressed and went up to the front. My mom and sister were at the counter. "It was this one, right?" asked my mom holding up the Speedo. I nodded, still embarrassed about the whole predicament. "We'll take this one as well," she said handing Katie the Tyr. I didn't want to get in an argument with my mom in front of Katie, so I said nothing. Katie rang up the items.

"So I'll see you around?" Katie asked me when we were ready to leave.

"Uh, sure," I said a bit confused. We never hung out.

"Let me give you my number," she wrote it down on a slip of paper and handed it to me. "See you."

"Yeah, see you later," I said.

"Think she likes you," my mom said as we walked out of the store.

"Definitely," agreed my sister.

"So, hot tub party tonight?" asked my mom.

"I'm free," said my sister.

"Josh?" asked my mom.

"Sure," I replied. "Tonight."