View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 05:24 PM

Default Be who you are

I grew up in very rural Northern Maine USA, which one would think is about as conservative a place as there is. I was on a swim team of some type starting at age 6 or 7. My family was not poor, but we did not have money for me have swim team suits and other suits, so my last years speedos became this years recreation swimsuits. It wAs never an issue. I went to high school in Virginia to have a better chance to swim in college. I remember there that I got teased a little about my swimsuits outside of team, but it never lasted long. I have worn brief suits my whole life and it has never been an issue. Life is too short to not be who you are. It is sad that you have to play a different role around your family. I would just put on the swimsuit you like and be matter of fact about it. As long as you are in good taste, no thongs or butt showing, let them just get over it. If you are worried start with a wider cut, once they accept that go to a more normal cut. I somewhat think we make this speedo stigma more than it really is. If they think brief cut suits are gay and you are then they guessed right. If you are straight and in a speedo, it will soon be clear that you and your choice of suit are not markers of your orientation. Be who you are, wear what you want.

STS

Last edited by SwimTeamSpeedo : 07-18-2015 at 05:27 PM.