View Single Post
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Dolphin
I've often wondered if these stores actually tried selling speedos (or short shorts) in the first place.

I've asked some clerks if the store would consider offering something other than boardies or knee length shorts and their reply was something to the effect that there's no market for them.

This is convoluted reasoning because stores don't know what the market really is unless they offer the product in the first place. This is a case of "Captive Marketing".

For the past few years Macy's carried Speedos, plus a couple other brands in square cuts, briefs and thongs. I would always check out what they had and check occasionally until they were all marked 50% off. Last year the manager marked them down when they first came in based on previous year sales. Board shorts double as shorts or swim wear so guys like having something they can wear all the time He said once the speedo types were marked down swim team guys would by them or guys got them to wear under the boardies.
Since this discussion was on the board I asked the manager about the lack of speedos this year. He said since most stores didn't want to waste space on a slow moving item they left it to the Internet so corporate could buy less than stocking the stores. He said that so far I was the only person to ask for them. Since we are well into the swim season, swimwear is moving fast. It is a matter of economics based on history. If it doesn't sell, don't waste valuable floor space especially in areas where it is a seasonal item. the speedo market is pretty much dedicated to swimmers and gays. You can always find them in sporting goods stores (especially during swim season) and gay oriented stores. Many retail stores have shut down in favor of Internet stores saving them lots in retail space rent. ( years ago Undergear had 3 retails store in So.Cal that have all closed) I know I prefer my speedos but do see the popularity of the more versitle board short and why it sells so well. I have some and they make great shorts. They have pockets and are shorter than most of the shorts on the market. As long as you have one or two buyers deciding what everyone shopping at their chain of stores wants and not localized buying I don't see the tide changing. Thank God for Internet shopping!