View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM

Default my perspective

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that there is some truth to the "speedo" (used as a generic term) gay relationship. Other than those who wear swim briefs for the actual sport (swimming, diving, triathlons, etc) I do think that there is a greater acceptance of wearing speedo type swimsuits in the gay population than in the straight population. As a case in point, I frequently will visit Ogunquit Beach here in Maine (USA). Ogunquit has a very vibrant gay section. If you walk up and down the entire beach, you will rarely find a single guy in a swim brief, even among the very large French Canadian tourists (often thought to have a "speedo" preference). However, once you pass into the section of beach frequented by the gay beach goers, you will see a wide variety of tight fitting, form exposing swim suits in brief and bikini styles. I do not think there is anything wrong with anyone wearing a swim brief and while that act alone is not gay, I do think it is safe to say that there is a greater likelihood that a gay guy will wear a more showy swimsuit at the beach than it is for a straight guy to do the same. I don't agree that it has anything to do with fear of a bulge or such, I think it is tied more to the bodily attributes that each population finds attractive.