View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Default thesis

Having waded through a quagmire of mixed philosophies I reach dry land
to discover that an intolerant authority in some form "represses its own subjects".
As point one it surprises me that such free thinking as expressed there produces the incongruous word subject instead of citizen.

As point two the emotive word repress hides the simple fact that as civilised beings we are all "repressed" in order to live in harmony and safety - and to say "standard of behaviour" would therefore be far more appropriate terminology.
For example, authority "represses" me by not allowing me to drive on the opposite side of the road to every other vehicle . Have I therefore unacceptably lost my freedom of choice to act as I wish, being under the control of an oppressive regime of some sort?
The rituals of politeness in Japan also result from the necessity of millions of people to live as happily as possible, being packed together in small spaces as they are.
As for "states created by intolerance" I should like to know why, as demonstrated in human history, so many peoples who gain "independence" immediately plunge themselves into bloody civil war.
In those seemingly inevitable circumstances who exactly are the subjects and who is then repressing them?

Last edited by Byron : 08-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.