PDA

View Full Version : Piers Morgan

Byron
12-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Many of you will know that this Brit., with an oversized ego, has upset the NRA of America on his recent CNN tv show and has provoked a petition in the USA , with many thousands of signatures, to urge his deportation for meddling in the rights of US citizens under the Second Amendment to The Constitution.
Not surprisingly 'net forums are full of many comments on the issue of
gun control (so delicate that its debate was avoided by both Presidential candidates this year) and amongst these I see an old chestnut appearing yet again , addressed to the UK and saying "Just remember we had to rescue you from the War in Europe".

LET'S GET SOME HISTORY IN PERSPECTIVE ONCE AND FOR ALL HERE:
Winston Churchill knew from the start of WWII that President Roosevelt's help was needed to combat the further domination of Europe by the very powerful forces of the Third Reich.
The President struggled against Congress , having no wish to be involved in a war in distant Europe, however - but the Pearl Harbor attack and Germany's declaration of war on the USA changed all that. Very substantial strategic US support then belatedly arrived for war-stricken and food-starved Britain and the tide was eventually turned over a total period of six years.
The final chapter was enacted with the Allies' invasion of Normandy in which the USA's vast contribution of men and equipment was vital to success.
The President was unfortunately an unwell man at the Yalta Conference and political (and military) control over most of eastern Europe regrettably fell to a different and powerful dictator, this time called Stalin. His fightback after Stalingrad and the impressive advance to Berlin by the Russian forces did not go unnoticed amongst the Allied powers and the rest is history, when
a different sort of war called the Cold War ensued. Not for nothing was NATO (the USA being a leading founder member) formed with the principle that "an attack on one is an attack on all" - and Jack Kennedy have to declare in later years "Ich bin ein Berliner".

louis
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
(WARNING) THIS POST MAY CONTAIN MISSPELLINGS BEING A CITIZEN FRANCOPHONE CITIZEN.
I am not an expert in politics but I dont quiet agree with the americans statement that they saved the UK and won the war for them, and I tend to agree yes if it wasnt for the americans the UK SURELY WOULD HAVE LOST IT. But they did not take part in the war to save the UK, They didnt want to have anything to do with it in the first place, they simply had to like it or not as its germany that declared war on them and Japan did become allys with Germany (Ref. the attack of Pearl Harbor)
My opinion is that in a way the americans instituted themselves as (the so called defenders of the world) its obvious that when the US gets involved in wars its mainly because its in there own interest.
When they defended Koweit agains Iraq (Sadam Hussein) its because Koweit was selling oil to tthe us at a very cheap price Sadam Hussein estimated that the Koweit oil was rightfully theres thus Iraq s attacked Koweit, the main reason why the USdefended Koweit is simply to keeping on getting Koweit s oil cheap.
If it wasnt for that reason the US wouldnt gave a hoot for Koweit , even prior to that they even suppli d arms to Irak for reasons that we all know.
Yes to Winston Churchill delight the US did get involved in the 39-45 war but was it to defend the UK I dont think so.
One thing is sure never the less (showing off aside) if it wasnt for Canada helping the UK getting arm supplys and food across the north Atlantic by sending hundreds of ships full of supplyes and being subjects of attacks by german u- boats then yes the UK would have lost the war.(keep in mind that if the situation had bene reversed the UK would have doen exactly the same thing for Canada)
Permit me afew questions DID THE US REALLY WIN THE WARS AGAINST VIETNAM AND KOREA OF COURSE NOT, AND WHO MADE SERIOUS MASTAKES KILLING UK AND CANADIAN SOLDIERS IN fGHANISTAN AND ELSWHERE (FRIENDLY FIRE)
I have many friends in the US,and reaspect them a grteat deal and would be very sorry to loose them its a great country and I admit that we Canadians are proude to have them as friends but what we do feel sorry about is this showing of that they always display, while vacationing in Florida I had very long conversations with 4 guys from New York and one says to me MY SON IS A GENUINE AMERICAN BLOODED AMERICAN HERO . HE WON TWO GOLD MEDALS AT THE OLYMPICS, WE AMERICANS WON MORE GOLD MEDALS THEN ANY OUTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, BUT HE DOESNT SAY THAY SEND MORE ATHLETES THEN ANY OUTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, NO WONDER THEY WIN MORE MEDALS.Mind you not all americans are like I just described most are fine people especially my friends, but lets be logical and fair, theyn are not invincible and are not the best in the world, thank God that we dont conseder young guys to young to vave a beer in a bar but old enough to go and get killed in Vietnam.
I feel sorry for this post about whatt I sead, THIS COUNTRY SOUTH OF THE BORDER IS SUCH A NICE COUNTRY, AND SO MANY ARE SUCH FINE PERSONS BUT UNFORTUNETELY FACTS ARE FACTS.
LONG LIVE CANADA, THE US AND THE UK.

Byron
01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/golondon/1/0/9/b/-/-/rooseveltchurchill.jpg