PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for different brands

JamesSwim
04-22-2012, 02:59 PM
It's best to try on a suit in a store, but many of us buy mail order. I find that sizes vary a lot.

Are some brands consistently cut small or large compared to your waist size? Or are they different depending on each style they make?

Each maker has a a sizing guide on their web site, but even if you follow it, the fit is different.

Speedo or Nike web sites sometimes say "measure around hips", and others says "measure an inch below natural waist", or (Tyr writes) "measure around natural waist (navel)"

Some web sites like Swimoutlet have ratings "x% says true to size", but answers vary.

Agonswim has it clear -- they have a table for each style they make based on the waist girth and how tight the fit along with % stretch with a web site calculator.

Anyone have a list or rule of thumb on how different brands fit?

PSDave
04-22-2012, 07:29 PM
I have also been frustrated by the S M L sizing on suits. Some makers think a small is a 26-28 while others think it is 23-34! I always look for an inch or centimeter description of the sizing. If it isn't listed, I send an e-mail and ask before I order.

Byron
04-22-2012, 08:59 PM
All very annoying and it's a problem that has never been properly addressed.

There can be charts for equivalent ordering against the myriad international sizing designations stated - but Japan suits make that tricky also as Extra Large may be appropriate when you would never consider otherwise ordering to that size.

I do believe that so much outsourcing of manufacture in recent years has contributed to many inconsistencies and local size labelling may not be
properly checked under quality control at the factory producing the goods.

louis
04-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Material has a lot to do with it.
Some suits sz 34 fits me perfect if it dosen t strech, never the less sz. 32 fits me allso well if it streches.
Yet the mystery I never could understand about suits is the shape,
Example, I have a solar and a speedo Aquablade that lookedso small wene I got them in the mail that I was sure that they wouldnt fit , yet they fitted perfectly.
Also I got a Agonswim in the mail that looked so big that I was sure that it would take two my sz to wear them, yest it fitted perfectly.
I took all the suits and put them all on the the other and it was surprising how all of them appered to be different sizes yet they all fitted.
Most surprising was the Agonswim suit it looked so big yet it was a perfect fit.
Also speaking of materials some dry very fast yet some take a long time to dry, The Agonswim suit was veryyyyyyyyyyyy longgggggggggggg to dry and was much heavier the the outher suits.

JamesSwim
04-23-2012, 04:13 AM
One swimwear shop clerk told me that if the suit doesn't stretch, like a nylon suit, buy one or two sizes larger from same brand than what works for lycra/nylon for regular swimming. (may be different for competition or water polo where you want a tighter fit). But most suits now, even PBT poly has some stretch, but a different amount of stretch than lycra. I don't see too many 100% nylon.

Others posting here are right about how you get surprised with suits that fit even if they don't seem to. It seems to be more than just the waistband -- the leg binding, where the seams are (center seam, side, etc.) all seem to make a difference.

I guess you can just find one that you like, and stick with it, but it's nice to try some new ones too.

MicroRon
05-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I have a number of OB thong underwear... underwear has the code: RED. The stretch is good and a Large is a good fit for me ~ the fit over my hips/waist was great.

Olaf Benz is now available thru a US supplier; so the shipping cost is very reasonable to Canada.

I had purchsed a size 'Medium' in a Swimthong, actually a Ministring. ( OB Swimwear is coded "BLU") The material had very liittle stretch and didn't fit at all well ~ Both way too tight over my hips and over my package. Yes ~ I made a mistake in thinking that a Med. would work, but there was so much stretch in the RED series and I was looking for a firmer fitting pouch in a swimthong. This experience ended up being a $ 65 mistake as I had bought one item from OB directly. Shipping cost was as much as the thong itself!

I'm a 36" waist ( with a snug pull on the tape...) but have a moderately sized package. OB sizing charts suggest an XL for my size range. If this were an U/W item by OB in XL it would be excessively loose on my package and possibly be too high in rise for my liking.? I have a Medium 'Brazil Brief' (a Swim suit) from OB that although snug fits OK - Although a Large might have been a slightly better fit around the waist and package, but a little too loose over the butt. Don't like that baggy look on my buns!

Does anyone have any experience with the apparent difference in fit between the Underwear series and the Swimwear range? Does the stretch vary significantly in the swimwear range of products? I'm still leaning towards a "Large" in the BLU or Ministring series. XL"s in other manufacturers have been too loose in the pouch and seem to rise far too high over my abdomen for my liking. I like the look of a lower rise thong on my body.

Your body fit may differ from mine... I'm a rather high mileage guy...!
THink: softer belly... dissapearing glutes.... its an ageing thing you know :eek:

Your help or jibes both welcome.

Ron
!!~~!!

AKA ~ ~ ~ The Beach 'n Bun Inspector

Byron
05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
"Does anyone have experience of .........?" - yes is the simple answer as correlating comfort
and ideal fit between underwear and speedos (and vice versa) is a minefield of estimations and expectations - and even so if dealing with the same manufacturer in the products.

Not a very helpful reply I know - but custommisation seems to be the
only solution, although, if you start talking to the makers about a likeness for product X but with an inch less this side, an inch more that side, and a bit lower at the front, etc. etc., I would guess the bill would mount up to
rather more than your previous mistake.

JamesSwim
10-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I actually checked the one Speedo brand suit I have, and when compared against several other brand suits, the Speedo is indeed larger around the waist for the same size. So it seems that Speedo brand's sizing guide is correct. (See URL below)

You need to measure your waist, and then downsize by two to three inches. The amount depends on the size. The larger your waist, the less (2") you downsize. But with Tyr, for example, I do not need to downsize.

So I realize trying it on is the best thing, but if you want to buy by mail order, I want to share the lesson you can avoid mistakes. As Byron, louis and others said, it is really difficult. But at least for Speedo brand, I think I figured it out.

http://www.speedousa.com/product/sizeChart.jsp?categoryId=15682446

Torchwatch
10-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Sizing is a bit complex, it depends on the length and stretch of the elastic and also on the cut and stretch of the suit fabric. Getting both the elastic and the fabric cut correct is the skill of the designer, but since everyone's body is different the wearer must then find the brief that not only fits but also suits him, this is such a tough unkind world.
Then as your perfect swimsuit ages the elastic may disintegrate and the fabric go saggy and you are back to square one.
I hate saggy suits where the ass stretches down towards the knees, an ill fitting suit looks better than a worn out one.

JamesSwim
10-14-2013, 04:17 AM
Yes, I noticed that suits age and change. A polyester suit I had was tight -- almost painfully nut crushing if you swam in it for a long time, so I didn't go swimming in it. But I tried it on recently and it was fine. I thought poly suits did not stretch as lycra/spandex does, but who knows, maybe I lost weight, or maybe it stretched out even without much use.