PDA

View Full Version : Have you experienced leg cramps while swimming?

Liscal74
10-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi. Swimming is my hobby and passion. I feel relaxed after swimming.Now, I cannot swim properly because of leg cramps. My friend who is a physiotherapist in Burlington (http://dynamicphysiotherapy.ca/) said that it is caused mainly due to mineral deficiency or by insufficient blood supply to the area.He advised me to consume plenty of water and consume food which is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium. Anyone here had experienced leg cramps while swimming? What do you do to prevent it? Please advise.

lapswimmer
10-20-2016, 11:49 AM
Bananas are a good source of potassium. The doc is right about mineral requirements. And drink lots of water to keep hydrated. Some stretching will help also.

Turbofan
10-21-2016, 05:00 AM
Water water water, stretch stretch stretch!

James
10-21-2016, 07:34 PM
I sometimes get them badly too while training for swimming. Used to be in the calf and was more severe when wearing training flippers so I have jettisoned them. More recently it is the upper leg. I manage to stretch them - was also advised calcium. Someone else said it was linked to swimming training after too much cycling. I never get cramps cycling.

SwimTeamSpeedo
10-29-2016, 01:20 AM
Where in the leg? I get the in my lower leg if I cycle hard and then swim, in my hamstrings if I push a long run then swim. Stretching long slow pulls helps, no bounce. For lower leg, flex the foot and hold. Agree on lots of potassium and water. Easy, slow kicks with a kick board also help. Long slow stretches on the pool deck also help. It sounds to me like you have overstrained and caused tight inflexibility, but keep up calcium, mag and zinc. Just do not overdue those as mineral excess is hard on the body. Hope this helps.

Beink1956
11-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Yes. I have experienced leg cramps while swimming. My veins also become swollen up.