PDA

View Full Version : Overlap in sizes for adult & youth suit sizes

JamesSwim
01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Some brands carry adult and youth line of suits and sizes overlap.
A youth 16 may be an adult 32 inches.
Should adults buy youth suits of same adult waist size when ordering mail order, or are they cut differently?
At a store, I can of course see or try for myself.

sebbie
01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
12= 24"
14= 26"
16 = 28"
18= 30"
Many of the suits carried by outlets such as swimoutlet.com do not come in separate adult and youth sizes...they simply carry waist sizes down to 24"

Torchwatch
01-07-2012, 08:23 PM
In the UK VAT (Value Added Tax) is applied to adult clothing but not on clothing for the under 16s. Two identical suits may therefore be packed for a small adult and large child, the child suit should be cheaper as it doesn't carry VAT, currently 20%.
The only way to be sure that they are identical is to take them out of the packets and compare them.
A friend in Canada wanted a pair of England soccer shorts, I found that the 16 yr shorts were identical to the small, 32" adult shorts and much cheaper. Just because Umbro did it on this occasion does not mean that every manufacturer will do it on every occasion.
I have heard of small adults who have managed to avoid paying VAT for many years before realising that children's clothes that they have always worn lack the style and sophistication they require a mature adult.

JamesSwim
01-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info. I discovered that some Arena youth briefs are 2" side seam but adult ones are 3" but like sebbie said, other seem to make no distinction in the cut.

So I guess it will work, but one needs to be careful that it fits & has the style you want.