PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear Plunge - Coney Island - 1st Time

NJHunkguy
01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Yesterday, I attended the Annual Polar Bear Plunge 2012 in Coney Island NY the first time as a "spectator". I had been wanted to go each year, but there were always excuses not to go. It was "FUN" !

Yes, there were quite a few men wearing Speedos, some were taking photos with requests from spectators.

crawler
01-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Way to go. I did my 11th jump here in Nova Scotia. Great way to start the New Year - almost naked and all that adrenaline pumping through your system. What else makes you feel like that? Exactly!

NJHunkguy
01-03-2012, 10:33 PM
It should be much colder in Nova Scotia and much more exciting in that temperature.

As for myself, I did not enter the water, too cold for me. Even though it was quite a warmer day. I only got my shoes and socks all wet when the waves splashed against my feet when I was the least alert while taking photos...

May be next year, I will finally plunge with "speedo".

NJHunkguy
01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Polar Bear Swim, Coney Island, Brooklyn, NY, January 1, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdSsMpqisPI&feature=player_detailpage

Me 0:41 in red jacket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d275AbkGy38&feature=player_detailpage

Byron
01-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Plenty of dogs and female bikinis to be seen in your vid. but where were those speedos - is such swimwear known at all to the men of NYC ?

SwimTeamSpeedo
01-04-2012, 02:08 AM
A race brief is the best thing to wear in a polar plunge. You'd think the opposite at first, but all that extra clothing just holds in the cold water... said from experience.

NJHunkguy
01-04-2012, 06:56 AM
There were as much as 1 speedo or square cut type for every 30 or so men.
Turn head, you would see one....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7035/6624885877_e0542cdb39_z.jpg
This one was not transparent :D

Torchwatch
01-04-2012, 06:14 PM
The majesty of an orbiting space station revolving to generate gravity reduced to celebrate an inflatable octopus and a bunch of chilly New Yorkers.

NJHunkguy
01-04-2012, 06:59 PM
The majesty of an orbiting space station revolving to generate gravity reduced to celebrate an inflatable octopus and a bunch of chilly New Yorkers.
Let me get it right. "The majesty of an orbiting space station", were you referred to red tower structure in the background ?

Very interesting thought. Sort of like a story in a poem!

NJHunkguy
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
A few photos borrowed from the internet.

Byron
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
I hope you will "finally plunge" next year as you indicated - that 1:30 ratio requires a lot of improvement.
PS: I couldn't find the flying saucer either (if that was indeed showing itself in the vids.)

NJHunkguy
01-05-2012, 02:28 AM
I hope you will "finally plunge" next year as you indicated - that 1:30 ratio requires a lot of improvement.
PS: I couldn't find the flying saucer either (if that was indeed showing itself in the vids.)

Tell you the truth, the number one thing I worry is "shrinkage" :o . Second, I couldn't stand that cold.

I went to watch the first time. Next year I know what to do, if I do plunge. I am even planning how to wear, may be double speedo and brief, and add some pad in the front to make it appears fuller !!

The flying saucer

It was a Coney Island historical landmark, the parachute jump tower. It was originated as a ride at the 1939 New York World’s Fair.

Although it is not much of an object that WOW people, but it is a small piece in my heart. Because I have been noticing it, enjoying its form standing lonely and quietly, since I first immigrated to the USA.

1944 Springtime at Coney Island - Amateur Color Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb1Qoyp8ShM&feature=player_detailpage

NJHunkguy
01-05-2012, 02:41 AM
That 1:30 ratio is not something I can change with my own power. But wearing it sure gives a bigger chance to be appearing on the news or internet.

Byron
01-05-2012, 03:03 AM
In USA too - Speedo trialling vending machines in 15 pools (Florida, Kentucky,Minnesota,New York,Ohio)

Byron
01-05-2012, 03:09 AM
:o
Please ignore above - wrong thread

(but for NJH thanks for explanation)

NJHunkguy
01-05-2012, 03:23 AM
Just search on the internet. Interesting idea! Will it work to make people buy brief type suits, I am not sure... Will see!